Friday, December 23, 2011

Merry Christmas, a Look Back & Happy New Year

Hello,
It's Christmas Eve where I am at in Olongapo City and I am back to typing my posts at an internet cafe at least til school vacation is up,then it will be back at school since I am blessed that our school has wifi there where I can communicate with everybody.  My next post, I'll have photos of tonight's gathering of some Peace Corps Volunteers at a restaurant for Christmas Eve pizza. Yum!!  Tomorrow, I will be back at my host family's house where I stayed with for the past three months for Christmas. 

With moving in last Friday & this week, it's been hard to make time to write.  My one uneven table has too many things on it, I can barely get my laptop on there. Today's post will be one that I wrote in my journal in Dinalupihan (the spot I'll be headed to for New Year's Eve) on September 9, just before Swearing In as Peace Corps Volunteer.  I mention September 9 because that was the same date one of my Aunts' was writing to me as it had that day on the sheet of paper on top when I read it.  Pretty cool, huh.  We were were both writing at the same moment sort of.  For some reason, I was too late to translate this from paper to the computer, that's why it never printed.  However, I still love to journal when I can and I will continue to do that.  If you don't hear back from me before New Year's, Happy New Year!  Ingat na.


Reminiscing on the porch 9-9-11, 4:15 pm
I am sipping on Tsaa (tea) thinking about my times in Dinalupihan.  It’s pouring hard, but not hard where it doesn’t stop my pen from moving because I am on the porch and the roof is my umbrella stopping the rain.  The only reason I haven’t been out here as much is because of the mosquitoes.  They’re the ones that drive me into my room.   

I look up and see a lady walking under an umbrella.  Umbrellas are popular here regardless of the weather.  Whether it’s sunny or not, they always have shade.  I am starting to feel a drop, but nothing to keep me from moving.  I think about my times walking on the tulay (bridge) and seeing people see me & wave; I would wave & say a greeting such as Magadang umaga (good morning) or Magadang Hapon (good afternoon).   I’ll walk for a little bit tomorrow, but not on the trail unfortunately since I already packed up.  I’ll probably just walk around the Barangay.  Also, I can’t take a shower because I already packed my towel and I don’t want to pack a wet towel that will make my clothes stink.
 
I do remember arriving here in a sling and trying to wash clothes with that thing on.  I am glad & grateful my host mom Ate Loida helped me by washing my clothes.  It also helped that I wasn’t doing a good job & not doing it fast enough.  My ate said in Tagalog that the clothes were still marumi (dirty). 
 
Another reason I am writing now is because I am in my favorite spot in a rare moment where no one is home except Aldwin because he is sick.  It feels nice and quiet.  As I write I hear roosters, birds, thunder, with rain and a radio playing 80s music, along with sounds of the main street in the background (trikes, cars, and buses.)

I hope it stops before tomorrow’s Handog.  A Handog is a ceremony to honor the families for hosting the volunteers.  I wish they would just call it a fiesta so the families don’t feel obligated to stay that long.  I’ve been to two fiestas with my host family and the maximum they stayed at each was two hours, maybe.  Peace Corps wants us to stretch this to six from 8am-2pm.  My hope is that families come at different times and that the rain stops.

Another thing I will miss about my Barangay is the quaintness of this place.  In some ways this reminds me of Frankfort Square when I was growing up in the 80’s, kids playing in the street, neighbors talking to one another and local business (here it’s Sorry Sorry Stands) doing business as usual.  I hope it stays this way for a long time.  There some trouble spots, but for the most part, it’s safe.  Of course, I wouldn’t be here if things weren’t safe or there was a need for my services.  The Philippines used to import items they used to make, sound familiar?  That’s why education is so important here.

It’s 5:24 pm and normally that means nap time, but I am still alone and feel I have to take this opportunity and write until someone gets home.  Right now the neighbor’s radio blasted “Love Hurts” and that’s funny because that’s what if feels like for me now.  I am all packed up and ready to go, but it took me a couple of hours to get everything.  I’ll miss most of all the closeness of everything where it’s all just a walk or jeepney ride away.  The other day I lost my family’s umbrella and I took a jeepney ride  back to the palengke (market) and I was able to find it.  I’d rather pay 20 pesos (round trip ticket) than 100 pesos for a new one any day.  I’ll miss my cluster and my teachers.  Eva is the best LCF (language coordinating facilitator.  She takes initiative when there needs initiative.  For example, she was the first LCF to take us the palengke and she called PC to get us rain boots, which you need out here.  Sam is my TCF Technical coordinating facilitator and he gives me great tips on how to improve.  I would take his advice on anything.  My cluster mates are awesome as well; Katelin, Kevin, Phyllis and Julie.  Together, I believe we were the best education cluster in Bataan with the arguments I hear about in the other groups.  Our cluster gets along with each other.

It’s getting dark and I don’t feel like getting the light.  Even with all those misses, I still look forward to my new residence and adventures in New Kalalake, Olongapo City, Zambales at Kalalake National High School.  Ingat na (take care) 5:56pm, 9-9-11
Aldwin takes a picture of me that day writing in my journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment